Following is a general tutorial for connecting from Power BI Desktop Edition to OBIEE Subject Areas through BI Connector and then publishing the same into PowerBI Cloud App with the help of On-premises data gateway (personal mode) and using it there.
- Microsoft Power BI Desktop December 2018 update or the latest version.
- Microsoft Power BI On-Premises Data Gateway (personal mode) November 2018 update or latest version.
- Install BI Connector Server Edition for Microsoft PowerBI on the same machine as your Power BI On-premises Data Gateway (personal mode). (Refer to Step-by-Step Installation Guide for BI Connector Server Edition for Microsoft PowerBI)
- Install BI Connector Desktop Edition for Microsoft Power BI on your PC. (Refer to Step-by-Step Installation Guide for BI Connector Desktop Edition for Microsoft PowerBI)
Configure Gateway and Data Source in Power BI Cloud
Before publishing the report to Power BI cloud, you have to add the gateway and create data sources under it.
- Install Power BI On-premises data gateway on a separate server and Sign In with your account.
- Configure 'BI Connector' with On-premises data Personal gateway (personal mode) using this article.
- You will be asked to add the Gateway by setting credentials for it. Enter the name and password for the gateway.
We need to create a report from Power BI desktop and then publish it to Power BI gateway to work on it from Power BI cloud app,
Launch Power BI. Select Get Data option.
In the Get Data dialog, scroll down and select BI Connector.
- In the BI Connector dialog box , Enter the DSN name that you configured after installing BI Connector. Advanced Options are not necessary.
- Select Import radio button.
- Click Ok button.
NOTE: Create the DSN only under System DSN for connecting from PowerBI Gateway to BI Connector. Also create separate DSNs for Subject Area and report.
Click on the Database name to connect to the required database.
- On Successful Connection, a subject area or list of subject areas will be displayed based on Manage subject area list
- The list of tables will be displayed just like a Table. Select a table and click on load.
Note: Refer to the following articles for connecting multiple tables in Direct query and Import modes:
Connect Power BI Desktop to OBIEE Subject Areas using Direct Query - Step-by-Step User Guide
Connect Power BI Desktop to OBIEE Subject Areas using Import - Step-by-Step User Guide
- Drag and drop or select one or more fields to the join area.
- Choose the desired visualization and you have now successfully created your Power BI Visualization for OBIEE data.
- Click on Publish button on the top left of the menu bar, to publish the report to Power BI cloud.
- You will be asked to save the workbook locally too. Enter the name for the workbook and save it.
Your workbook is now published successfully in the Power BI cloud. You can now continue to work on the report online.
If you have any questions or issues creating a report, we are just a click away. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or file a ticket at our support portal.