Following is a general tutorial for connecting from Power BI Desktop Edition to OBIEE Reports through BI Connector and then publishing the same into PowerBI Cloud App with the help of On-premises data gateway and using it there.
Before publishing the report to Power BI cloud, you have to add the gateway and create data sources under it.
- Install Power BI On-premises data gateway on a separate server and Sign In with your account.
- Configure 'BI Connector' with On-premises data gateway using this article.
- You will be asked to add the Gateway by setting credentials for it. Enter the name and password for the gateway.
- Now, sign In to your account in Power BI cloud.
- On the top-right, click on settings icon and select 'Manage Gateways' option.
Enable 'Allow user's custom data connectors to refresh through this gateway cluster' option and click 'Apply'.
Gateway that you created in step 1 will be displayed under 'GATEWAY CLUSTER'. Click 'ADD DATA SOURCE' button to add a new data source under this gateway.
Enter the details for the data source as follows:
- Enter the name for the data source (Example: OBIEE Reports).
- Select BI Connector as Data Source Type from the drop down
- Enter the Data Source Name as "OBIEE Reports Connector", where 'OBIEE Report Connector' is the DSN you configured after installing BI Connector. NOTE: Create the DSN only under System DSN for connecting from PowerBI to BI Connector.
- Enter your Username for connecting to OBIEE Server
- Enter your password for your account in OBIEE
- Click Add.
If you have entered the correct Data Source Name and credential information, your connection will be successful.
We need to create a report from Power BI desktop and then publish it to Power BI gateway to work on it from Power BI cloud app,
Launch Power BI. Select Get Data option.
In the Get Data dialog, scroll down and select BI Connector.
- In the BI Connector dialog box , Enter the DSN name that you configured after installing BI Connector. Advanced Options are not necessary.
- Select Direct Query radio button.
- Click Ok button.
NOTE: Create the DSN only under System DSN for connecting from PowerBI Gateway to BI Connector. Also create separate DSNs for Subject Area and report.
Click on the Database name to connect to the required database.
- On Successful Connection, a Report will be displayed if you provide a path of a particular report or a list of Reports will be displayed if you provide a path of the folder. You can Select the Report from the list also.
- The list of Reports will be displayed just like a Table. Select a report and click on load.
- Drag and drop or select one or more fields to the join area.
- Choose the desired visualization and you have now successfully created your Power BI Visualization for OBIEE data.
- Click on Publish button on the top left of the menu bar, to publish the report to Power BI cloud.
- You will be asked to save the workbook locally too. Enter the name for the workbook and save it.
Your workbook is now published successfully in the Power BI cloud. You can now continue to work on the report online.