Following is a general tutorial for connecting from Qlik Sense Desktop to OBIEE Reports using BI Connector Desktop Edition.
Follow the Step-by-Step Installation Guide for BI Connector De sktop Edition to install and configure BI Connector on your PC.
Follow these few simple mantras to quickly become an Expert in the report creation for OBIEE data using Qlik Sense and BI Connector.
- For your first report, choose a simple report with one or two measures coming from one Fact table and one or two dimension columns coming from one or more Dimension tables.
- As the first step, review the required report in OBIEE in your Dev/Test/Production environment and view the results. Note down the Report names, Fact tables & required measures, Dimension tables & required columns.
- Next, connect from Qlik Sense using BI Connector to the same environment which has the OBIEE report. This will ensure that you are able to do an apples-to-apples comparison of data and visualization in Tableau with the same report in OBIEE.
- Use filters when appropriate to limit the data being queried by Qlik Sense in OBIEE.
A few things you should not do:
- Do not select a complex OBIEE report for your first few visualizations.
Launch Qlik Sense and log in into your Qlik account.
Click on "Create new app" to create your first app.
After successfully creating the Qlik app, click on the "Open App" button.
Select "Add data from files and other sources" option to connect to the datasource.
Click on "ODBC" button from the list of available data sources.
Select the OBIEE DSN (e.g., OBIEE Connect - Reports) that you configured using BI Connector in ODBC Data Source Administrator UI and enter your username and password and click on create.
You are now connected to OBIEE Reports. Click on the "Database" drop down list to connect to the required database.
Click on "Owner" drop down to view the list of Reports based on the filter you applied in the DSN. Select a report from the list.
Note: Selecting a report from Owner list is a mandatory step to work with OBIEE reports. So do not skip this step.
In the Table check box, select the Report from the list. The list of columns will be displayed just like a Table, from which select the necessary columns and click on Add data.
Note: Preview of table data is disabled on considering the performance.
You will see the list of charts from which you can select any one chart ( ex: Pie chart)
Select "Add dimension" to add Dimension columns of the table to the chart.
Select "Add measures" to add measure column from the table to the chart.
Congratulations! You have now successfully created your first Qlik Sense Visualization for your OBIEE data.