The following is a general tutorial for installing and configuring BI Connector Server Edition for OBIEE Subject Areas and Reports in a Windows PC.
Please verify the following pre-requisites for BI Connector Server Edition:
- Windows Server with at least 4 cores per node and 8 GB memory (refer to System requirements for Qlik Sense).
- Qlik Sense Server should be installed on the same machine.
- .NET 4.5 version or higher.
- BI Connector Server Edition should be installed on the same machine as Qlik Sense Server.
- Internet Access: Internet access for online license activation.
Note: If you do not have internet access or if you have proxy/firewall blocking access, then please refer to How do I do an offline activation of BI Connector License.
9. OBIEE role and Privileges: Your OBIEE user ID must have the roles/privileges as defined in What OBIEE roles/access is needed for BI connector to connect to OBIEE?
- BI Connector for OBIEE Reports Server Edition is available for 30 days trial by request. Please send a request to email@example.com to receive download information.
- After getting the download link, log in to the Windows User account which is used to run Qlik Sense Server. Download BI Connector Server edition 7-zip file to your Qlik Sense server machine.
If you have already installed any older versions of BI Connector Server Edition on your PC, uninstall it by following the below steps.
- Close Qlik Sense Server if opened in the browser.
- Stop Qlik Sense Server.
- Uninstall the existing BI Connector
In your PC —> Go to Control Panel, Programs / Software, Uninstall BI Connector.
Extract BIConnector-Server-Edition-x64 zip file. You will see following three files:
Double click on BIConnector(ServerEdition)-setup-x64(xxx).exe file. Click Next in the InstallShield Wizard UI.
Review and Accept EULA and click Next.
Keep Launch ODBC Administrator tool checkbox checked and click Finish.
The ODBC Data Sources Administrator UI will open.
If ODBC Data Sources Administrator screen does not open automatically from the previous step, you can search in Windows Search box for "ODBC" and select ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) to launch this screen.
- In the System DSN tab, if you already have a DSN for BI Connector, it will be displayed. This DSN can be used for connecting to OBIEE Reports. Else create a new DSN for OBIEE Reports using the steps defined in Configuring DSN for Reports.
Note: You must create a System DSN. Do not create a User DSN because BI Connector Server Edition will not work as a Windows Service.
Create a new System DSN for OBIEE Reports. In the System DSN tab, click Add.
In the Create New Data Source UI, select (1) BI Connector Driver and (2) Click Finish.
Note: If you are upgrading to the latest version of BI Connector Desktop Edition from an earlier version, follow this step else skip it. You will see the BI Connector - Create a New Data Source UI. Click on License Info button.
BI Connector Activate License UI will be displayed.
- Enter your information such as Name, Organization Name, Email Address, Phone Number.
- Enter the new license key that you received.
- Click Activate. BI Connector will connect to Licensing Server and try to activate your trial license.
On successful activation, you will see the (1) "Activation Successful" message. Click on (2) Close.
Next, you are going to configure the OBIEE as a data source.
In the Create a New Data Source UI for BI Connector, input the following information.
- Give a name to your Data Source, e.g., My First OBIEE Connect.
- Give a description of the Data Source, e.,g My first OBIEE test connection.
- Enter the Server Name for your OBIEE instance. The server name would come from the URL that you use to access the OBIEE Answers in your organization. If your OBIEE URL is "https://obieedev.mycompany.com/analysis/saw.dll", you should enter "https://obieedev.mycompany.com" in the Server Name field.
- Enter the OBIEE URL port in the Port field. This is typically:
- If your OBIEE URL starts with http:// and does not have a port number, then port number is typically 80.
- If your OBIEE URL starts with http:// and has a port number (e.g., 9704), then use that port number (e.g., 9704).
- If your OBIEE URL starts with https:// and does not have a port number, then port number is typically 443.
- If your OBIEE URL starts with https:// and has a port number (e.g., 9804), then use that port number (e.g., 9804).
- If you are using Single Sign-on(SSO) in your organization, please check this article to configure it.
- Enter your OBIEE username in User Id field. This is the userid that you would normally use to log in to OBIEE Answers. Do not use the Admin username.
- Enter your OBIEE password in Password field.
- Click on Test connection to verify the connection to OBIEE.
- Select "Reports" radio button to connect and work with.
- In the Filter text box, enter the part or full name of the Report with which you want to connect. This filter text is used to filter the list in Owner drop down when you wok in Qlik Sense. Please check this article for more information.
- Click on Preload metadata button. This will load the Reports list in cache for faster access while working in Qlik Sense. Please check this article for more information.
NOTE: Filter text doesn't applies for preloading metadata. Despite of filter text, all the data source details will be loaded in cache. Filter text affects only when working in Qlik Sense's Owner drop down option.
If the connection is successful, you will see the following window. Click OK in the Test Connection UI.
Click OK in the Create a New Data Source UI to close BI Connector UI.
1. If the connection is not successful, you will see the following window. Please click OK.
Verify the URL, port, user id and password and Test connection again. Even if the URL/port/userid/password are correct and you are still not able to successfully connect to OBIEE, the error could be due to network/SSO configurations such as WebAuth that might block all web service connections to OBIEE. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. If your license key is not valid for Reports functionality (example, if you are using a license key that is valid only for OBIEE Subject Areas), you will see the following error message.
Click OK and use the license key that supports Reports functionality by following the steps mentioned in the pop-up.
Trial license key is available in BIConnector-TrialLicenseKey.txt. file that was extracted from the zip file in Step 2. This trial key will have support for connecting to OBIEE Reports. If your trial license key has expired and you would like to purchase license key, click the "upgrade" link in the message box, you will be redirected to BI Connector's Contact Us page to where you can contact support team for buying new permanent license.
In the ODBC Data Sources Administrator UI,
- Notice that the DSN for OBIEE Reports (OBIEE Connect - Reports) have been added.
- Click OK to close the UI.
Now your BI Connector Server Edition is configured and ready for use.