BI Connector - Server Edition allows you to connect Tableau Server to MicroStrategy Reports and create intuitive visualizations in minutes.
For connecting to MicroStrategy, we use BI Connector as Web Data Connector (WDC) from Tableau. BI connector makes it easy to connect to your existing reports in MicroStrategy and allows you to input the prompts for the reports from within BI connector. This helps user to create Tableau visualizations and save time by reusing all the prompts and metadata already defined in MicroStrategy. The significant advantage is that you do not require any changes in MicroStrategy.
The following is a general tutorial for installing and configuring BI Connector Server Edition for MicroStrategy Reports in a Windows PC.
Please verify the following pre-requisites for BI Connector Server Edition:
- Windows Server with at least 2 cores and 8 GB memory (refer to Tableau Server recommendation).
- .NET 4.5 version or higher.
- BI Connector Server Edition should be installed on the same machine as Tableau Server.
- When Tableau Server is run as a Windows service, verify that Tableau Server is set up with "Run as User" in "Configure Tableau Server" application. Refer to this Tableau article for more information.
- BI Connector's license should be registered with the same Windows User as Tableau Server's user. Please review this article for preventing issues when publishing worksheets to Tableau Server.
- Internet Access: Internet access for online license activation.
Note: If you do not have internet access or if you have proxy/firewall blocking access, then please refer to How do I do an offline activation of BI Connector License.
- BI Connector for MicroStrategy Reports Server Edition is available for 30 days trial by request. Please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive download information.
- After getting the download link, login to the Windows User account which is used to run Tableau Server (See #5 in the Pre-requisite above). Download BI Connector Server edition 7-zip file to your Tableau server machine.
If you have already installed any older versions of BI Connector Server Edition on your PC, uninstall it by following the below steps.
- Close Tableau Server if opened in browser.
- Stop Tableau Server.
- Uninstall the existing BI Connector
In your PC —> Go to Control Panel , Programs / Software , Uninstall BI Connector.
Extract BIConnector-Server-Edition-x64 zip file. You will see following three files:
Double click on BIConnector(Server Edition)-setup-x64(x.x.x.xxxx).exe. You will see the BI Connector Installer screen as shown below.
Click on Next in the screen below.
In the following screen, review and (1) accept the license agreement. Click (2) Next.
In the next screen, note that BI Connector is installed in C:\Program Files\BI Connector folder by default. Click Install.
BI Connector is now installed in your PC. You can uncheck "Launch ODBC Administrator" checkbox as this option is not needed for using BI Connector as Web Data Connector. Click Finish.
You are now ready to configure BI Connector.
As we are going to use WDC installed in Tableau Server machine from a different client machine, we need to configure the IP address of BI Connector.
To configure, host name and port number of BI Connector WDC server, navigate to "C:\ProgramData\Guidanz\BI Connector\BI Connector.config".
By default, BI Connector Web Data Connector server will take localhost as host name (1) and 9000 as port number (2).
Change the value of host to be the IP address of the machine where BI Connector Server Edition is installed. If you would like to use different port number, then change it too.
As a security measure, Tableau Server won't run web data connectors unless you approve the connector by adding it in Tableau Server's white list / safe list.
Note: You must be a server administrator to approve web data connectors for use on Tableau Server.
Follow the below Steps to add BI Connector Web Data Connector to Tableau Server’s safe list
- Open command prompt in Administrator mode (Run As Administrator).
- Change directory to Tableau server installation path (for example, cd C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.2\bin)
- Run the following command to add BI Connector Web Data Connector to Tableau Server’s safe-list / whitelist:
tabadmin whitelist_webdataconnector -a http://<ip_configured_in_step5>:<port_configured_in_step5>/
eg: tabadmin whitelist_webdataconnector -a http://126.96.36.199:80/
- Restart the Tableau Server to make the changes effective.
- Run the following command to check whether BI Connector Web Data Connector is successfully added to Tableau Server’s safe-list:
tabadmin whitelist_webdataconnector –l
- This command will list all the web data connector’s added to Tableau Server’s safe-list.
Now your BI Connector Server Edition is configured and ready for use.