The following is a general tutorial for connecting from Tableau to MicroStrategy using BI Connector Desktop Edition.
Follow the Step-by-Step Installation Guide for BI Connector Server Edition for connecting Tableau to MIcroStrategy to install and configure BI Connector as Web Data Connector in your Tableau Server PC.
Step 1: Launch Tableau. Select Web Data Connector from the list of Connectors.
Step 2: Tableau’s Web Data Connector Browser will be opened. Enter the URL of the server’s IP and port where the BI Connector server edition is hosted. Example: http://18.104.22.168:9000 or http://biconnector.mycompany.com/
Step 3: In the MicroStrategy connection information page,
- If you are a new user, select "Add New Connection" option from Connection drop down box and fill in server details as per the below instructions.
- Enter the Server Name for your MSTR instance. The server name would come from the URL that you use to access the MSTR Server in your organization. If your MSTR URL is https://mstrdev.mycompany.com/MicroStrategy/servlet/mstrWeb, you should enter "https://mstrdev.mycompany.com" in the Server Name field.
- Enter the MSTR URL port in the Port field.
- Enter your MSTR username in Username field. This is the userid that you would normally use to log in to MSTR Server.
- Enter your MSTR password in Password field.
- Select any one Authentication mode appropriate to your login account, from the list of options in drop down.
- Enter the application name that you have configured for your Microstrategy Server application
- As you type the server name, port number and application name, an URL is framed which is displayed in "MicroStrategy Server URL" field (read only). You can compare this with your MicroStrategy server URL to confirm that connection works fine. If there is a change in your URL, kindly contact our support team at email@example.com or file a ticket at Support Portal.
- Similarly, you can use Webservice name and Webservice URL in "more" option to configure Webservice URL of your MicroStrategy server.
- If you have already created a new connection, select the server name to which you want to connect from Connection drop down. Rest of the details will be filled in automatically except password.
- If you want to update any details, you can edit the field and enter password.
- Or you can directly enter the password to continue with current details.
Step 4: Click on “Save & Login” button:
Step 5: On successful login, you will get the list of projects that are available in the connected MSTR server. You can select the project from the list and click on “Submit” button.
Step 6: Now the list of folders available inside the project will be displayed in a tree structure in the left pane.
Step 7: You can drill down to the required folder to get the required report. If you drill down any folder, its sub folders will be displayed under it in the left pane and if there are any reports inside that folder, that list will be displayed in the right pane.
Step 8: If you know the full or partial report name, you can also use it to search through the entire project. Please note that search is case-sensitive.
Step 9: Select the report from the list and click on “Submit” button.
- If a report needs prompt answer for execution, the prompt page will be displayed for user input. Give the required prompt answers and click on “Run Report” button. (For details on Prompt Answering, refer to the article of Prompt Answering)
Step 10: Tableau Web Data Connector browser will be closed and table schema will be displayed in Tableau Data Source Tab. You are now connected to MicroStrategy Reports.
Step 11: Go to Worksheet. and you will see the Measures and Dimension columns from the MicroStrategy Report in the Tableau Worksheet.
Step 12: Drag and drop the dimension fields into Columns, Rows and Filters as needed. Also drag and drop the measures into the worksheet.
From the Tableau Desktop, Sign in to Tableau Server from the Server menu.
Publish the data source
Pick the project. If you would like to refresh the extract data on the server then change the authentication of the data source to "Embedded password".
If the data source was successfully published, following message will appear.
Then Publish your workbook also to the Tableau Server. Name the Workbook and publish.
If you would like to refresh the workbook's data on the server then change the authentication of the connected data source to "Embedded password".
After successfully publishing the workbook, its preview will appear.
Now, using a browser in the Tableau Server machine, login to Tableau Server to verify if the data source and workbook are published and working.
You can see the workbook that was published at Tableau Desktop. Data will be presented to see as per your security setup.
All Tableau desktop users who have access to this data source that was published earlier can now use this data source on some other Tableau desktop also. Even Tableau Desktop Users who do not have BI Connector Desktop Edition installed on their machine can access the MicroStrategy via Tableau Server.
1. For this, open a Tableau desktop on and click Tableau Server from the list of Connecctors.
2. Enter Tableau server credentials
3. Now you will see the data source published using BI Connector to the Tableau desktop user.
4. Click on the data source and now the data is ready for visualization
6. Proceed to the worksheet and work your Tableau magic with the server based on the extract created while publishing the data source.