Following is a general tutorial for connecting from Tableau to MicroStrategy using BI Connector Desktop Edition (Currently in Beta)
Follow the Step-by-Step Installation Guide for BI Connector Desktop Edition for connecting Tableau to MIcroStrategy to install and configure BI Connector as Web Data Connector in your PC.
Follow these few simple mantras to quickly become an Expert in the report creation for OBIEE data using Tableau and BI Connector.
- For your first report, choose a simple report with one or two measures and one or more dimensions.
- As the first step, review the required report in MicroStrategy in your Dev/Test/Production environment and view the results. Note down the Report names & required columns.
- Next, connect from Tableau using BI Connector to the same environment which has the MicroStrategy report. This will ensure that you are able to do an apples-to-apples comparison of data and visualization in Tableau with the same report in MicroStrategy.
- Use prompts when appropriate to limit the data being queried by Tableau in MicroStrategy.
A few things you should not do:
- Do not select a complex MicroStrategy report for your first few visualizations.
Step 1: Launch Tableau. Select Web Data Connector from the list of Connectors.
Step 3: BI Connector Web Data Connector page will be loaded. If you have not activated the product before, license activation page will be popped up.
Step 4: Fill in all the necessary details for activating the license and click on “Activate” button.
Step 5: If the license is successfully activated, “Save & Login” button will be enabled in the MicroStrategy connection information page.
You can click on "more" option to the left of Save & Login button to get more configuration options for your MicroStrategy Server.
Step 6: In the MicroStrategy connection information page,
- If you are a new user, select "Add New Connection" option from Connection drop down box and fill in server details as per the below instructions.
- Enter the Server Name for your MSTR instance. The server name would come from the URL that you use to access the MSTR Server in your organization. If your MSTR URL is https://mstrdev.mycompany.com/MicroStrategy/servlet/mstrWeb, you should enter "https://mstrdev.mycompany.com" in the Server Name field.
- Enter the MSTR URL port in the Port field.
- Enter your MSTR username in Username field. This is the userid that you would normally use to log in to MSTR Server.
- Enter your MSTR password in Password field.
- Select any one Authentication mode appropriate to your login account, from the list of options in drop down.
- Enter the application name that you have configured for your Microstrategy Server application
- As you type the server name, port number and application name, an URL is framed which is displayed in "MicroStrategy Server URL" field (read only). You can compare this with your MicroStrategy server URL to confirm that connection works fine. If there is a change in your URL, kindly contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or file a ticket at Support Portal.
- Similarly you can use Webservice name and Webservice URL in "more" option to configure Webservice URL of your MicroStrategy server.
- If you have already created a new connection, select the server name to which you want to connect from Connection drop down. Rest of the details will be filled in automatically except password.
- If you want to update any details, you can edit the field and enter password.
- Or you can directly enter the password to continue with current details.
Step 7: Click on “Save & Login” button:
Step 8: On successful login, you will get the list of projects that are available in the connected MSTR server. You can select the project from the list and click on “Submit” button.
Step 9: Now the list of folders available inside the project will be displayed in a tree structure in the left pane.
Step 10: You can drill down to the required folder to get the required report. If you drill down any folder, its sub folders will be displayed under it in the left pane and if there are any reports inside that folder, that list will be displayed in the right pane.
Step 11: If you know the full or partial report name, you can also use it to search through the entire project. Please note that search is case-sensitive.
Step 12: Select the report from the list and click on “Submit” button.
- If a report needs prompt answer for execution, the prompt page will be displayed for user input. Give the required prompt answers and click on “Run Report” button. (For details on Prompt Answering, refer to the article of Prompt Answering)
Step 13: Tableau Web Data Connector browser will be closed and table schema will be displayed in Tableau Data Source Tab. You are now connected to MicroStrategy Reports.
Step 14: Go to Worksheet. and you will see the Measures and Dimension columns from the MicroStrategy Report in the Tableau Worksheet.
Step 15: Drag and drop the dimension fields into Columns, Rows and Filters as needed. Also drag and drop the measures into the worksheet.
Step 16: Choose the desired visualization from Show Me. You have now successfully created your first Tableau Visualization for MicroStrategy data. Congratulations!
If you want to use different report, select Add option above the connections list in the left pane and continue the above steps from 'Step 2'.
If by any chance, BI Connector service is restarted or your PC where BI Connector installed is restarted, you will be prompted for entering MicroStrategy password to continue working with the existing connection.
There are three scenarios in which you want to edit the data source connection.
- To use a different report instead of existing report with no prompts.
- To re-prompt for reports with non-object prompts.
- To re-prompt for reports with object prompts.
To do so, right click on the small inverted triangle (1) near the data source name and select on Edit Connection option (2).
- If the report has prompts, prompt answering page in Web Data Connector window will be directly opened. You can change the prompt answers for the same report as required and execute the report.
- If the report doesn't have any prompts to answer, login page in Web Data Connector will be opened. You can proceed from Step 6 to Step 16 and select a different report to view it.
Once the Web Data Connector closes and the report comes in Tableau, right click (1) on the table name from join area and remove (2) it.
Now drag and drop (3) the table to the join area again to refresh the data.