BI Connector - Desktop Edition allows you to connect Power BI Desktop and create intuitive visualizations in minutes.
The following is a general tutorial for installing and configuring BI Connector Desktop Edition for OBIEE Subject Areas and Reports in a Windows PC.
BI Connector Desktop Edition has the following pre-requisites:
- OS: Windows Operating System - 64 bit.
- Microsoft Power BI : Power BI Desktop - 64 bit.
- Administrator Privilege: Windows Administrator privilege for your PC to install BI Connector. If you do not have the privilege to install software on your PC, then please contact your IT to help install BI Connector in your desktop.
- Internet Access: Internet access for online license activation.
Note: If you do not have internet access or if you have proxy/firewall blocking access, then please refer to How do I do an offline activation of BI Connector License.
- OBIEE role and Privileges: Your OBIEE user ID must have the roles/privileges as defined in What OBIEE roles/access is needed for BI connector to connect to OBIEE?
Download the latest version of BI Connector Desktop Edition from here.
If you have already installed any older versions of BI Connector on your PC, uninstall it by following the below steps.
- Close Power BI Desktop.
- Uninstall the existing BI Connector
In your PC —> Go to Control Panel, Programs / Software , Uninstall BI Connector.
Once the download is completed, Open BIConnector-Desktop-Edition-beta-x64.exe or BIConnector-Desktop-Edition-x64.exe file which is a compressed file. The file name depends on whether you downloaded the beta version or the production version. You can extract the file by double-clicking on it or by using 7-zip (a zip file extractor). The following 3 files will be extracted from the zip file.
Double click on BIConnector-setup-x64(x.x.x.xxxx).exe. You will see the BI Connector Installer screen as shown below.
Click on Next in the screen below.
In the following screen, review and (1) accept the license agreement. Click (2) Next.
In the next screen, note that BI Connector is installed in C:\Program Files\BI Connector folder by default. Click Install.
BI Connector is now installed in your PC. Verify that Launch ODBC Administrator is checked. Click Finish.
The ODBC Data Sources Administrator UI will open.
You are now ready to configure BI Connector.
If ODBC Data Sources Administrator screen does not open automatically from the previous step, please search in Windows Search box for "ODBC" and select ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) to launch this screen.
In the User DSN tab, click Add.
In the Create New Data Source UI, select (1) BI Connector Driver and (2) Click Finish.
BI Connector Activate License UI will be displayed.
- Enter your information such as Name, Organization Name, Email Address, Phone Number.
- The default 30-day trial license key will be displayed.
- Click Activate. BI Connector will connect to Licensing Server and try to activate your trial license.
On successful activation, you will see the "Activation Successful" message. Click on Close.
Next, you are going to configure the OBIEE as a data source.
In the Create a New Data Source UI for BI Connector, input the following information.
- Give a name to your Data Source, e.g., My First OBIEE Connect.
- Give a description of the Data Source, e.,g My first OBIEE test connection.
- Enter the Server Name for your OBIEE instance. The server name would come from the URL that you use to access the OBIEE Answers in your organization. If your OBIEE URL is "https://obieedev.mycompany.com/analysis/saw.dll", you should enter "https://obieedev.mycompany.com" in the Server Name field.
- Enter the OBIEE URL port in the Port field. This is typically:
- If your OBIEE URL starts with http:// and does not have a port number, then port number is typically 80.
- If your OBIEE URL starts with http:// and has a port number (e.g., 9704), then use that port number (e.g., 9704).
- If your OBIEE URL starts with https:// and does not have a port number, then port number is typically 443.
- If your OBIEE URL starts with https:// and has a port number (e.g., 9804), then use that port number (e.g., 9804).
- If you are using Single Sign-on(SSO) in your organization, please check this article to configure it.
- Enter your OBIEE username in User Id field. This is the userid that you would normally use to log in to OBIEE Answers. Do not use the Admin username.
- Enter your OBIEE password in Password field.
- Click on Test Connection to verify the connection to OBIEE.
- Select "Subject Areas'' or "Reports" radio button to which you want to connect and work with. NOTE: Create separate DSNs for Subject Area and Report.
- If you are connecting to reports, you can use "Manage Reports List" option to select Reports or Folders containing reports to keep in the cache for faster access while working in Tableau/PBI/Qlik Sense. Please check this article for more information. NOTE: This cache will be used only when you connect BI Connector as ODBC Connection from Power BI.
- Click on Save button to save the details and close BI Connector UI (Password will not be saved).
Congratulations! You are now ready to connect from PowerBI Desktop to OBIEE.